Tuesday, February 22, 2011

In response to Ashley Guidi's post: Taco Bell Buys The Liberty Bell?





"I ask you, how many times do you question a news story when it is published in national papers or viewed on TV? Do you put your faith into the integrity of others?"
-Ashley Guidi

            This was a very interesting and thought provoking post you did on the public’s vulnerability to media and newspaper influence. I agree that society has come to believe whatever the news advertises. There seems to be a general agreement that if something isn’t true than why would sources we trust for information make it public. The public’s trust in these sources comes from their availability. Newspapers and television are some of the easiest and most convenient sources of information, and I believe that because of this we are more likely to believe what they say. I for example try not to believe everything I hear from the newspapers or television, but when there is only this source speaking on the matter, it is difficult to question if it is true.
            I believe that there is an obligation that the newspapers and television have to delivering the most accurate information. Sometimes I think they are more likely to use the story that will sell the most or get them the most ratings. This makes it difficult to put my own faith into the integrity of others knowing that the truth maybe skipped out on in order to benefit their own success.

Do you think that news sources should receive a penalty if they knowingly advertise false information?

No comments:

Post a Comment